Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mothers Day


Well here it is Mother's day again and as with any day of significance that only arrives once a year it serves to highlight some of the changes that have occurred.

For me I only have my step-daughter in the area these days and thankfully she has two little one so that it helps me forget that I have my son living in Florida and my daughter living in Massachusetts.

My work schedule did not allow me to travel to Massachusetts this year so I will not be able to join with my sisters, sisters in law and Mom for Mother's Day this year.

Life changes and though I may not always like the changes it is important to honor the fact that I am here to witness it as it goes by.

I wish all of you who are Moms a wonderful day.

I wish all of you have have lost your Mom a moment to reflect on some of the wonderful memories that relationship must have brought into your life.

I wish all of you trying to become Moms a big virtual hug and hope that it will happen soon.

As for me I am off to work today with the knowledge that I have done my best over the years to be a pretty good Mom

1 comment:

Dwight said...

Mother's Day has often been a difficult time for me, both before and after my own mother died in 1996. She took care of my physical needs as best she could when I was growing up. But, she was totally unavailable emotionally. As far as I knew, her spiritual-side was non-existent.

I was very slow to grieve her loss when she died. What became more pronounced was the mother I never had: frequently helpful, genuinely encouraging, emotional, spiritual, and most of all compassionate. I ended up grieving the mother I never had more than my real mother.

Therapy and journaling has been my method of dealing with the pain, the absence, and the void. I often journal (personally) the most about this subject on or around Mother's Day. Today, I can genuinely celebrate motherhood from a son's perspective. It's a position of awesome responsibility, delight, wonderment, kindness, patience, love, and experiencing life, if you so choose that position.

Here's to the moms, moms-to-be, and adopting moms for being willing to truly mother a child, and not just give birth.