Friday, September 21, 2007

No More Excuses

I went to the doctor the other day for the ever popular yearly "woman's" checkup. The once over is what I call. Don't get me wrong I really love my Doctor and I think he does a great job. I tend to always prefer the alternative route if possible meaning my last course of action is prescription drugs and he is always there walking right beside me.

He did the once over and we talked about some things... primarily my sluggish thyroid and came to a decision that we will finally give a course of thyroid replacement a try.

Everything else seems fine and he sent me on my way with a promise that I would get a mammogram soon. I will admit that I have been pretty lax about the regularity in which I obtain one. This month I vow to follow through.

I have never made a conscious choice to not get a mammogram. I just became one of the many who became to busy. Maybe because it was one more thing that had to be scheduled into a pretty hectic life. I have been relying on the monthly self-exams to
cover the bases. I would prefer to get a thermogram but no one offers it in my area.

National Breast Cancer Awareness Month is fast approaching and as I give daily thanks for my friends who have survived a battle with breast cancer I understand that it is time to step up and start exercising some self-care... meaning getting the exam with no more excuses. So that is my commitment. By the end of October I will have had a mammogram and a bone scan as well.

For any other woman who has been putting it off I invite you to join me.

1 comment:

Rhea said...

I think you're ahead of the game, really, because you do self-exams. I never do them and the doctor always says I should!