Tuesday, September 11, 2007

When Mom and Dad Divorce

It feels so weird to be 50 years old and still have my parents going through divorce. They have been into it now for 7 years. I received my own divorce and have been remarried for 5 years. Both my sisters got divorced during the time frame and yet nothing has left more of mark on all of us than watching this drag on.

I spent the morning at the attorney's office with my Mom figuring out a strategy to help her get by until there is a resolution ....which does not seem to be forthcoming anytime soon.

You know all the crazinness comes out when it is your parents. You still take sides even if you don't want to. Dad pretty much shut us all out when this started and picked his health care provider over the family. His health is deteriorating which makes this whole thing even harder. He won't let us into see him and it is hard to converse on the phone.

They are both in their mid seventies and the hurt feelings have been built up over 45 years. I feel like I am a parent to my Mom through this and yet part of me wishes it would all go away and I could just be their daughter.

I guess I believed it would not happen to them and seeing drag on is like a bandaid being slowly ripped off a wound. Not too pretty.

1 comment:

spideress said...

I just stumbled on this blog and I am overwhelmed on the divorce rates in your country and your family. I can only empathise. In As an Africa divorce rates are still low and cultural values are still upheld making divorce almost like a taboo which of course has it down side and benefits to it. At best most people will separate with neither wanting to complete the divorce. However in-spite of this the men will usually move on and re-marry while women carry on as single.