Friday, October 05, 2007

To Wear the Flag or Not

Barak Obama is not wearing a flag lapel pin and it seems to be stirring some controversy. Some people feel that if you want to be the person that is ultimately the Commander in Chief of our country that it is a must have accessory.

Others feel that wearing or not wearing a flag is not what makes you patriotic and still others, particularly political analysts feel that it is a risky move to not wear a flag pin.

I personally fall into the category of those that believe it is not in the wearing or not wearing of a pin that your patriotism is defined....instead it is how you live your life, you ethics and your integrity. I believe that there are many, many other ways to demonstrate your loyalty to a particular country and wearing jewelry does not necessarily need to be one of them.

After 9-11 people became almost confrontational if you were not displaying a flag or flying a flag or wearing a flag.....at least in the part of NJ that I reside. I politely refused to give into what I felt was pressure at that time simply stating that I had been a good citizen and supporter of my country before that date and would continue long after.

Personally I think it is great that Obama wants to create a different kind of conversation of what makes someone patriotic.

No comments: