Thursday, January 18, 2007

Women and Weight

I just finished watching the Lifetime movie Fat Like Me. I had to tape it to watch later. I know there have been a lot of shows doing similar type scenarios with beautiful thin women putting on fat suits and seeing how they are treated.

I believe the show Ugly Betty had something to do with it and I am happy to see this kind of attention brought to a difficult subject even if it is overkill.
The preoccupation we seem to have as a society with being thin instead of being healthy is a subject that needs to be talked about again and again until we understand the effect it actually has on us all.

I was actually a naturally thin child, you know the kind that could eat anything and and not gain an ounce. That all changed however around the time I got my first period. My weight became a struggle after that with pretty big fluctuations heavy to thin. I even was what would now be termed a borderline anorexic.

All that aside I have worked pretty hard to stay in a healthy range. I will always be a curvier woman, no longer naturally slim but I had kept my weight in a range I was comfortable with for the most part until I actually entered into menopause.

Now it is all out war......but more than anything I want health over weight loss for the sake of being skinny. I will have to admit though I am not exactly as comfortable in my current body as I would like to be.

I would hate to think that I am being judged yet in truth I at times judge myself feeling that I am letting myself down.

Women and weight are complicated subjects and they are part of my journey.....As I progress through midlife I am dealing with being a healthy desirable woman while carrying a bit more weight than I like.

No comments: