Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Low Glycemic Eating

In an attempt to stave off the inevitable holiday weight gain I have embarked on a program of low glycemic eating. Yes it is somewhat boring but that may be because i need to weight for my taste buds to adjust.

I am not a woman who naturally discards sweets...in fact I LOVE them. I might even go so far as to say that I crave them. That is why drastic measures are called for. The warm weather held a little longer than usual this year. What that meant in my world was that I did not drag out the winter clothes until this week. I looked longingly at the skirts and pants and even jackets that I want to slip into again like the familiar skin they had become.......that was before menopause.

I the last three years I have dragged around an extra twenty pounds that truth be told I am not that fond of. I can embrace my aging wisdom and grace. I can get with the thought that no longer have to prove myself....What I can't seem to let go of is this dissatisfaction in having to drag around the extra weight.

I lift weights I work out (though increasing the aerobics is part of the program) and now I am cutting out the bad carbs in lieu of whole grains, beans and lentils. I am cutting out the sugar gradually and readjusting my taste buds. I have found something called agave that is a natural sweetener that has minimal impact on blood sugar. I am trying to cut down on that as well so that my taste buds get used to not having much of a sweet taste.

I will say that I miss the great apple pie from Thanksgiving but I am determined that some of this weight has got to go.

No comments: