Friday, March 30, 2007

Being Part of the Sandwich Generation

You know I had heard about the sandwich generation and I guess one day I would be part of it but as always I think I have more time. Nope....I guess I am a sandwich boomer or a boomer sandwich....either way I am taking care of my in-laws and soon my own parents just when I thought I was finally free from some of the responsibility in my life.

A week of vacation in Florida...to my husband it is great because we are visiting his Mother who still thinks every man should be waited on hand and foot....no offense guys. As for me it only takes about half an hour and she is giving me the list of what she wants to get done while we are there and how the phone bill is a mess and she has been waiting for me to get it straightened out.

I feel guilty as I head to the pool because she wanted someone to talk to. I start nagging my husband to help me get the to do list taken care of....ooh I hate when I do that and guess what?..... so does he.

And then wonder of wonders he says that next winter he wants us to spend 20 days of each month in Florida with Mom....."won't that be great?" I cringe inside...not because I don't love her but I guess I thought I would have few years between the kids all being gone and then taking care of the parents.

In days gone by you may have had all the family members living together and it would seem the most natural thing to all be under one roof .....but this is today and I must have missed hearing that this is how it would all unfold.

On a positive note..it is Florida and I am not a cold weather person.....and for right now my stepson and his wife and daughter live there as well. I can elder sit and babysit at the same time.

No comments: